Spores are carried by wind and animals, and land on your roof. If not left to go for too long, it’s a natural process and won’t cause any major damage to your roof. Particularly, algae or moss can cause damage to your roof. They should be removed regularly.
Although roof shingles are not difficult to clean, it is best to hire a professional. Let’s discuss why roof shingles should be cleaned, how to clean them, and tips for preventing algae and moss growth.
WHY CLEAN ROOF SHINGLES IS SO IMPORTANT
It is essential to take steps to clean your roof shingles regularly. Roof shingles that are clean will prolong the life of your roof, increase its protection, and, most importantly, not hide deeper signs of damage.
EXTEND YOUR ROOF’S LIFE
Algae feeds on the oil in your Shingles and can literally eat them away. By curling shingles, Moss can damage them. Curled shingles make easy targets for wind gusts. Wind gusts can get under the shingles and pull them away, leaving your roof exposed to the elements. Your roof’s protection is dependent on regular cleaning and maintenance to get rid of these organisms.
ENHANCE YOUR ROOF’S PROTECTION ABILITY
Algae and Moss growth can reduce your roof’s reflectivity, which makes it less efficient. Algae and moss can also increase water retention on your roof’s surfaces. If water seeps under your roof and through the roof, it can cause mold, rot or leaks.
UNCOVER SYMPTOMS FOR ROOF DAMAGE
Roofs that are showing signs such as low spots or peeling shingles may need to be repaired. These symptoms can be disguised by significant staining, algae, or moss growth. If it gets worse, you might not notice it. You can assess the condition of your roof by removing them. If your roof appears to be in poor shape, a thorough cleaning might be the best thing for it.
Roof shingles should not be cleaned by you alone due to safety concerns. It is best to hire a professional who has the necessary equipment and expertise to safely complete the task. For help cleaning your roof shingles, contact your local roofing company.
HOW TO CLEAN ROOF SHINGLES
The roofer will use bleach and water to remove any algae, moss or mold from your roof shingles when it is time to clean them.
- Step 1: Your roofer will mix bleach and water in one solution. The sprayer will evenly spread the chemical on your roof.
- Step 2: Next, let the solution sit at least 15 minutes to seep into the moss and algae. Then it will start loosening its grip on your shingles.
- Step 3: Next, they will remove any moss or algae from the roof using a spray hose. You can wipe them by hand if they are stubborn.
Roofers will need to climb onto the roof to clean shingles. It is possible for the roof to become slippery. This is why professionals should handle this job.
TIPS TO MAINTAIN CLEAN SHINGLES IN THE ROOF
You’ll want to maintain clean roof shingles. Regular maintenance is necessary to prevent roof damage from algae, debris, and moss growth. These are some other tips that will help you keep your roof shingles clean:
- When you are cleaning roof shingles, it’s a smart idea to clean your gutters. Gutters are important for draining water from your roof. A dry roof is more likely to develop moss and algae. Gutter cleaning is also a way to get rid of any organisms that might be living in your gutters and making their way onto your roof.
- By trimming branches from trees that touch your roof, or block the sunlight, you can stop algae and moss growing. These organisms thrive in dark, humid environments. To prevent them from growing, keep your roof dry.
- Never use a power washer to clean roof shingles. A forceful stream can cause damage to shingles or force water under them. This could lead to roof damage.
If your asphalt roof has a lot of mold, moss or debris and you aren’t sure how to proceed, contact Reggie Reed Roofing. We would be glad to evaluate the situation and provide a no-obligation estimate on how we can solve it.
This post was written by Reggie Reed! Reggie is a state-certified roofing contractor and co-owner of Reggie Reed Roofing, the best commercial roof maintenance in Tampa. He is a 4th generation roofing contractor. RR Roofing offers a wide variety of roofing services for residential homes, apartment complexes, condos, commercial buildings, churches, and more. Reggie enjoys dedicating his spare time to helping underprivileged youth in his community and traveling with his family and friends.